Hennock is a large parish of 3,469 acres with three main settlements – Hennock, Chudleigh Knighton and Teign Village.
The village of Hennock, mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, is 600ft above sea level with spectacular views across the Teign Valley towards the Haldon Hills. The parish church of St Mary the Virgin is an ancient building in the Early Perpendicular style. The first vicar is recorded in 1207. The primary school was built in 1865 by Sir Lawrence Palk, whose family name has been taken by the local pub, the Palk Arms. The area is predominately agricultural but is also known for its mining, particularly micaceous heamatite, a form of iron oxide used as a constituent of anti-corrosion paint on civil engineering structures across the world including the Eiffel Tower.
Chudleigh Knighton by contrast, situated on the edge of the Bovey Basin, is known for its association with ball clay mining and brick and tile making by Candy’s and later British Ceramic Tiles in nearby Heathfield. At one time the offices of Great Western Potteries, part of Candy and Co, were located at Church House, owned by the manager John Morland Limpus. The village is also mentioned in the Domesday Book as Chenistona – “Roger holds it from the Bishop of Exeter”. And until 1973, when the A38 was turned into a dual carriageway, was on the main route from Exeter to Plymouth.
The church of St Paul, built in 1841-42, is a cruciform structure of Haldon flint – only one of two of this type in Devon. Chudleigh Knighton became an ecclesiastical parish in 1880. The primary school was built in 1873. The village has two pubs. The Anchor Inn has the first recorded licence as a public house in 1824, although The Claycutters Arms is undoubtedly located in the older building and was probably a cider house before it gained a full licence. The village hall, built by Sir Charles Seale Hayne of Pitt House in 1895, was originally a working men’s club and until the early 1950’s was associated with the temperance movement, intended to keep the thirsty clay workers out of the pubs and cider houses.
Teign Village was built on either side of a lane leading up to Hennock from the Teign Valley by The Teign Valley Granite Company in 1910. All the bricks were made by the Teign Valley Concrete Company, with sand for the mortar from Newton Abbot Glassworks. The Sports and Social Club, still a thriving concern supporting two local football teams in the South Devon League, was founded in 1913 by the local quarry manager.
Information provided courtesy of Steven Chown