Beal Farm was for several years the residence of Francis Jefford Davy who’s extensive lands included clay beds and several properties in Chudleigh Knighton. In 1850 he is recorded in White’s Trade Directory as a farmer and clay merchant. He was involved in several of the earliest clay companies. In 1848 he obtained a lease from the trustees of the late Earl of Devon enabling him to get clay in return for a royalty of 4s 6d per ton at Decoy, near Newton Abbot. He was allowed to cut 500 tons in the first year, rising to 1,000 tons and 1,500 tons in the second and third years. In 1853 Blake, Davy and Co were shipping ball clay out of Teignmouth. Edward Blake later became part of Watts, Blake and Bearne. Davy died in 1865 aged 74. He is buried alongside his wife Mary Anne in St. Pauls Churchyard.